Have several questions about setup- Bind 8.1.2

Adrian Griffis adrian at mpinet.net
Thu Dec 23 21:14:09 UTC 1999

Hello,

A brief history:
Our company recently switched our whole network around. We used to use a
dial-up connection and our web page and e-mail were through the dial-up ISP
server. Now we have a permanent connection and have our own web server and
e-mail server. One of the catches was to run our own DNS server because the
new ISP wanted to much money for a primary for us, but we could use a their
secondary at no charge.

My questions are:

1) How do you setup for an ISP secondary server? (i.e. what files are needed
..db.xxx.xx.xx and what is needed in the named.conf file)
I've tried this earlier but received a bunch of errors regarding named-xfer
and non-authoritative in domain.

2) Is there anything, as far as setup for 8.2.2 P5, new to change in the
named.conf file or other files?
I did have this loaded, but had nothing but trouble with it, so I put 8.1.2
back on my server, with no problems.

3) To make sure, you do put MX records in your db.domain.com file right?
We are still not getting e-mail.

If this helps, I'm running this on SuSE Linux 6.1

Thanks in advance,

Adrian