bind 8.2.2pl5 and fdlimit

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Dec 24 10:41:27 UTC 1999

    Scott> After upgrading to 8.2.2pl5 from 8.1.2 that was included
    Scott> with FreeBSD 3.3, I've noticed the following:

    Scott> Dec 24 01:35:42 longjing named[23508]: limit files set to fdlimit (1024)

It's just reporting that the OS has restricted named to having no more
than 1024 file descriptors. This should be more than enough.

    Scott> I don't think this is a problem, but I just want to
    Scott> double-check.  A lot of other info is logged by 8.2.2pl5
    Scott> that 8.1.2, and there are a few definite problems that I've
    Scott> spotted as a result.  I just want to make sure this isn't
    Scott> anything to worry about.

It's not, unless your name server happens to need >1024 file
descriptors... :-)

You could consider setting up the logging subsystem to print the
severity of each message when it is logged. That would make it trivial
to tell the difference between debug, info, warning, error, etc
messages.