Setting up my domain

mtepel at my-deja.com mtepel at my-deja.com
Fri Dec 24 19:19:41 UTC 1999

I'm getting dsl, and I have static ip addresses.
The ISP will host my domain in their DNS as the secondary name server.

I'm not experienced with DNS at all, and am not quite sure how this
works (e.g. secondary vs. primary).  I assume that somehow I have to
run my own primary name server on my linux box in order for my domain
to be accessible to the outside world.

Does someone have a fairly simple explanation of how to do this?  I
have seen the linux DNS howto and some other documents, but they are
confusing to me and seem to cover material far beyond what I want to do.

I just want machine to be accessible via my own domain name from
outside my home LAN (given that I can get my ISP to be a secondary name
server).

Thanks so much for your help.

-MT

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/