Why the WWW.?

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Dec 27 15:12:09 UTC 1999

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: crzzy1 at digizen.net

> I noticed that some URL's don't use the "WWW." prefix,
> The root zone files don't seem to list the WWW. for the resolution of
> these names.
> This would seemingly put control of the WWW. option on the host end.

It's not an option, it's a host name or an alias that points to a host
name. Host names are defined in the zone file for the relevant domain.

> how does my local name server sees that the WWW. is implied and doesn't
> know it isn't FTP or something.

When you try to resolve a host name on a remote domain, your local name
server gets the answer from one of the authoritative servers for the
domain in question. E.g. "www.domain.example." and "ftp.domain.example."
are totally different queries.

> Is the omission of the WWW. a function of the hosting server?

You can run a web site on any legally named host; there's nothing magic
about web sites that aren't named "www".

> If so, what would be the parameters that one would look for in setting
> up/disabling this feature?

Create an A or CNAME record for the name you wish your web site to be
known by. If you're using name-based virtual hosts, also set up your HTTP
server to recognize the right Host headers.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>