30,000+ domains - nameservers on knees

gasmicgnome at my-deja.com gasmicgnome at my-deja.com
Mon Dec 27 15:11:13 UTC 1999

Hi,

We have two nameservers authoritative for 30,000+ domains: A Cobalt
RaQ2 primary and a Gateway PC P233 secondary.  Both machines run RH
Linux with kernel 2.0.34. The primary runs 8.1.2-T3B and the
secondary 8.2.2-P5.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the secondary regularly seg-faults, usually
during a series of "non-authoritative" named-XFERs. I've whittled out
most of the lamers but it's still happening. Surprisingly the RaQ2 has
never needed a reboot (Our other RaQ2s with POP3/http are segfaulting
all over the place).

named on both machines regularly consumes 99% of the CPU. During
this time the nameservers simply stop responding to queries (dig,
nslookup etc). The outages usually last a few minutes.

What is named doing during these outages? This is probably a daft
question but is there an upper limit to the number of domains named can
handle?

Apart from upping RAM/CPU spec is there a less intensive mode I can
run both nameservers in that will take the heat off?

Cheers
Gnome

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.