local names

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 27 21:16:58 UTC 1999

On Sat, Dec 25, 1999 at 11:18:16AM -0600, Kyle Hargraves wrote:
> I'm having a bit of trouble with bind 8.2.2-P6 (installed from the OpenBSD

Interesting.  The latest is 8.2.2-P5.  Just wondering: many vendors do
their "value-added" thing and change the version number entirely.

> ports tree). I currently have a dialup connection, with a varying number
> of machines on an internal network. Basically, I'm lazy and getting tired
> of editing every /etc/hosts when I add/remove a machine (I have any where
> from 4-12 machines on the net at a time, so its cumbersome). Each machine
> has a 192.168.22.0/24 address, and they are NAT'd to get to the outside
> world.
>
> I have no domain name to use, so I'm sticking with my simple names, such
> as 'agony', 'rancid', etc. I've run into trouble when trying to find what
> zone to put these under in my named.conf file. I can get the PTR records
> to work, under the 22.168.192.in-addr.arpa. zone, but I have no clue as
> to where to put A records. If I tack on an arbitrary domain name, I can
> lookup the name 'agony.domain.here', but simply 'agony' does not work.
>
> I realize this isn't much to go on, but does any one have an example of
> a configuration like this (or merely what zone I should put the names
> under)?

You should have an /etc/resolv.conf, which would contain your domain
name for the purpose of resolving names; e.g.:

	domain		local
	nameserver	192.168.22.###

for "agony.local." [and aren't you the cheery little namer?].  You would
then put your machines under zone "local".

You don't really want your machines to have names in the root domain:
e.g., "agony.".  If you did, you would have to pretend to be the root
server; and then you wouldn't be able to resolve any names that depend
on the real root servers, e.g., the entire Internet.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B