disappearing MX records?

John Kerbawy john at NOC.maKintosh.com
Tue Dec 28 09:31:40 UTC 1999

Hello. Over the past few days I've been having some mail problems because
my MX records keep disappearing. Once, I went away for the weekend, and
when I came back, I didn't have mail I was supposed to have, and there
wasn't a MX record propogated out on the 'net. I had to do something like
restart BIND before it worked again. This has happened more than once.

I run BIND8 on a OpenBSD box with a DSL connection. I don't understand
only 1 of the 2 domains breaks. The box that does the DNS is the primary
NS for the domain that doesn't break (belluccis.com), and is the secondary
domain for the domain that does break (maKintosh.com). It just so happens
that the box doing the master NS for maKintosh.com has been down for
around a week now. Is this the cause of my problems and if so, how do I
fix it? Below is what I think is relevant from my named.conf

options {
        directory "/";
        named-xfer "/named-xfer";
};

logging {
        channel logfile {
                file "log/named.log" size 20m;
                severity info;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
};

controls {
        unix "/var/run/ndc" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
};

<snip>

// Master zones

zone "belluccis.com" IN {