disappearing MX records?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Dec 28 15:03:57 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.BSO.4.10.9912280302090.17802-100000 at NOC.maKintosh.com>,
John Kerbawy  <john at NOC.maKintosh.com> wrote:
>Hello. Over the past few days I've been having some mail problems because
>my MX records keep disappearing. Once, I went away for the weekend, and
>when I came back, I didn't have mail I was supposed to have, and there
>wasn't a MX record propogated out on the 'net. I had to do something like
>restart BIND before it worked again. This has happened more than once.
>
>I run BIND8 on a OpenBSD box with a DSL connection. I don't understand
>only 1 of the 2 domains breaks. The box that does the DNS is the primary
>NS for the domain that doesn't break (belluccis.com), and is the secondary
>domain for the domain that does break (maKintosh.com). It just so happens
>that the box doing the master NS for maKintosh.com has been down for
>around a week now. Is this the cause of my problems and if so, how do I
>fix it? Below is what I think is relevant from my named.conf

I'm not currently getting any response from I.maKintosh.com -- it doesn't
respond to DNS queries or pings.

The fact that your master was down for a week is quite significant.  You
have the Expire time of the domain set to 1 week:

makintosh.com.	86400	SOA	NOC.makintosh.com. john.NOC.makintosh.com. (
			1999122800	; serial
			28800	; refresh (8 hours)
			7200	; retry (2 hours)
			604800	; expire (7 days)
			86400 )	; minimum (1 day)

So after a week of failing refreshes, the slave server will expire the zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com