Dangling Cname

Zeljko ROGAC z_rogac at club-internet.fr
Tue Dec 28 09:59:28 UTC 1999

I hope this willhelp you.

Dangling problem :

We have 4 root servers (1 primary and 3 secondary) called level 1
We have 7 severs for the level 2. Each server is primary on his zone and secondary
for the other zone.

The message comes from the log of  the level 2 servers.

The cname is written in the file of the level 1 server and the address in the file
of the level 2 server.

Log :
(don’t pay attention to the _ in the names)
Dec 28 05:35:41 level2_server named[24978]: dangling CNAME pointer
(intranet.level2_domain.level1_domain)

Nslookup results on intranet
Server:  level2_server
Address:  @IP_ level2_server

Name:    intranet.level2_domain. level1_domain
Address: @IP intranet.level2_domain. level1_domain
Aliases:  intranet.level1_domain

Nslookup results on intranet.level2_domain.level1_domain
server: level2_server
Address: @IP_ level2_server

Name:    intranet.level2_domain. level1_domain
Address: @IP intranet.level2_domain. level1_domain

Thank you for your answer