bind informative messages

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Dec 29 12:10:07 UTC 1999

    Mugur> Hi I run Win NT 4.0 SP5 with Bind DNS 4.9.5 In my Event
    Mugur> Log, the Application Tab, I get the following informative
    Mugur> messages... There are a lot of them and many of them appear
    Mugur> several times...

    Mugur> * Lame server on 'www.www.starnets.ro.net' (in 'RO.NET'?): [209.235.54.3].53 'NS2.GEN.COM': learnt (A=195.8.99.11,NS=195.8.99.11)

The ro.net domain has a delegation for www.www.starnets.ro.net, but
one of the name servers for that delegation (209.235.54.3) is not
authoritative for it. The name server at 195.8.99.11 told you that
NS2.GEN.COM was a name server for www.www.starnets.ro.net and the
server at 195.8.99.11 told your server that the address of NS.GEN.COM
was 209.235.54.3.

    Mugur> * "acer.ro IN MX" points to a CNAME (mail.acer.ro)

The MX record for acer.ro points at a CNAME - mail.acer.ro - rather
than an A record. This is wrong, though most mail systems allow it.

    Mugur> * Malformed response from [208.221.32.5].53 (answer to wrong question)

The name server at 208.221.32.5 is sending bad data. Your name server
thinks this server is giving it answers to questions it hadn't sent.
This could be an attempt to poison your name server's cache or it
might be an innocent name server that's just doing stupid things.

    Mugur> * dangling CNAME pointer (images.wip.zip2.com)

A CNAME pointed at some name that didn't exist.

    Mugur> These are not errors, not even warnings.. and my server
    Mugur> works just fine but it bothers my boss... ;-)

They are errors, but in other people's DNS setups.

    Mugur> Any help on how could I correct this problem would be appreciated.

Complain to the DNS administrators for these domains/name servers/IP
addresses.