Upgrading from BIND 4.9 to Bind 8.2.2p5

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 30 01:38:51 UTC 1999

	^--------- unnecessary - done in the next step
> 3. zcat BIND-src.tar.gz |tar -xvf
> 4. cd src
	cd bind-8.2.2-P5/src
> 5. MORE INSTALL
	more INSTALL
	^------------ This step should tell you all the rest.
> 6. MAKE CLEAN
	make clean	[case matters!]
> 7. MAKE DEPEND
	make depend
> 8. MAKE
	make
> 9. cd /bin/named
	pushd /etc
	[in other words, TEMPORARILY chage directories to /etc]
> 10. named-boot.conf < /etc/named. > named.conf
	named-bootconf < named.boot > named.conf
> 11. tail /var/adm
	This one I don't understand at all.
	At this point, I would STOP any old 'named' that was running.
> 12. make install
	popd; make install
	[in other words, return to your original source directory first]

> What am I missing or do I have in error. Any information would be
> appreciated.
>
> Michelle Spencer
> Struggling DNS Admin
> U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Last: start the new 'named'.  Some startup files may have to be modified
for it to come up correctly every time you boot.  These files are some-
what system-dependent.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B