CNAME CHAINING

wwebb at adni.net wwebb at adni.net
Fri Dec 31 18:33:27 UTC 1999

Is there any legitimate reason to use CNAME chaining?

Some CNAME chaining was identified in one of our zones and the
person who operates the name servers of a delegated sub-domain
advised:

"We use CNAME chaining to avoid reverse DNS lookup problems.
For example, if a DNS query produced the following:

     Server:  wolfden.emtoo.net
     Address:  151.198.89.3

     Name:    www.njwg.cap.gov
     Address:  151.198.89.100

and the reverse DNS lookup resolved as follows:

     151.198.89.100 -> bsys01-4.emtoo.net

name resolution problems will occur and depending on the
accessor, the CAP web site may be blocked from access, not
listed in search engines, or be listed in impropperly."

I had never heard of this before and I would appreciate the groups
insight on this issue.

Thanks, Bill Webb