how to setup class b ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jul 6 14:16:13 UTC 1999

In article <377F0001.881F8491 at dellmac.com>,
Daniel Wittenberg  <daniel-wittenberg at dellmac.com> wrote:
>Maybe this would be easier:
>Is there documentation somewhere on how to setup 1 table for the reverse on an
>entire class B?  Or maybe 2 tables, but I just don't want 1 table for each /24
>net...too many tables...
>I didn't find anything usefull in the o'riley dns & bind book, so if there is
>another book or web site or something..

There's no special documentation for this because it's no different from
any other reverse domain.  All the documentation assumes that network
administrators are able to apply the basic rules of zone file contruction,
and don't need every minor variation explained explicitly.

For the address 172.27.0.1, the PTR record would be:

1.0.27.127.in-addr.arpa.  PTR  name

Since the default origin for your class B reverse zone file is
27.127.in-addr.arpa, that can be abbreviated by removing the origin suffix
to:

1.0  PTR  name

This is the same way any other domain (forward or reverse) is constructed.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com