Forwarding "all-other" zones

Jim Ault aultj at joshua.crd.ge.com
Tue Jul 6 21:13:21 UTC 1999

Let's say I have an authoritative server for xyz.com domain, and that
server can and should query other servers in other divisions of the
xyz.com domain, but when the server wants to query other hosts outside the
company, like aol.com, or blah.net, or blah.ac.uk, I want the bind server
to forward those requests only to a forwarding server, but I DONT want to
have to enumerate all the .net, .org, and country domains, and all the
rest of the .com domain to specify a forward-only zone...

I essentially want "forward last" instead of forward only, or forward
first.  What options and flags should I use to do this in named.conf?

I have BIND 8.2.1 on solaris.  Thanks.

Jim Ault, Unix Support, GE CRD, Schenectady, NY aultj at crd.ge.com <><