updates (how 2 stop?)

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Wed Jul 7 15:55:55 UTC 1999

>>>>> "chris" == chris cariffe <chriss at well.com> writes:

    chris> That's what I see in the logs.  It isn't allowing updates
    chris> but it is logging.  The logging is fine as it is a good
    chris> security measure.  However I was told when this client came
    chris> up and tried to do an update the BIND process on the server
    chris> hung.  Is this a known problem or should I test this
    chris> myself?  I didn't witness this myself but was told this by
    chris> my client.

Your client is badly misinformed. A BIND8 name server does not hang if
it gets an unapproved update packet. If it did, anyone could stop the
Internet by sending unauthorised update packets to the root name
servers. That would be an amazingly simple and really nasty denial of
service attack. Perhaps it's the box that *sends* the unapproved
update packet that hangs?