unknown hosts appear to resolve

Mark Steph mark.steph at ericsson.com
Wed Jul 7 20:06:28 UTC 1999

I am positive I have something stupid and obvious wrong, but I can't seem
to find the answer anywhere else, so here goes.  (Probably searching with
the wrong keywords...)

I have 2 DNS servers for 2 separate domains.  They are (supposedly) built
exactly alike.  (Obviously, this is not *really* the case).  Sunos 5.6,
same hardware, same patches, bind 8.2.1.

server1:
> nslookup noexist.com
Server:  server1.domain1.com
Address:  1.2.3.4

Name:    noexist.com.domain1.com

(It should return some NXDOMAIN error here...)

on server2:
> nslookup noexist.com
Server:  server2.domain2.com
Address:  5.6.7.8
Aliases:  8.7.6.5.in-addr.arpa

*** server2.domain2.com can't find noexist.com: Non-existent host/domain

---

I have done all the obvious: resolv.conf is correct, nsswitch.conf is
correct, no missing dots (that I can find, anyway) on hosts in domain1.com,
truss'ed the hell out of it, nslookup -d2'ed, diff'ed the hint files on the
2, compared named.conf files....  Obviously, server1 works if I fully
qualify it as 'noexist.com.' -- but that is really not what I am after
here.

I have noticed that it has to be a real top-level domain.  In other words,
noexist.edu will screw up, noexist.se will screw up, but noexist.noexist
returns an NXDOMAIN error as expected.

Any clues?

--
Mark Steph