in.named failing

Aaron Geistwite webmaster at ezonline.com
Tue Jul 13 13:53:13 UTC 1999

  I am running bind 4.9.6 on a SCO UnixWare 2.1.2 server and am having a
problem with it failing every so often.  For some reason, the process
in.named dies on the server.  When it dies though, the pid file stays
there.  Whenever I stop the name server manually, that file goes away.
I wrote a couple scripts to check to see if named is running, but when
the pid file is there, the server thinks that the process is running, so
it gives an error when it tries to start named.  I tried to compile
4.9.7, but it failed miserably.  There is nothing in the logs either
that shows me any reason why the process dies.  If anybody could help me
out or maybe tell me where I could get a binary copy of 4.9.7, I would
appreciate it.  Thanks.

Aaron