why does named not quit of it can't bind to the required port?

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Wed Jul 14 15:53:32 UTC 1999

    Mark> Hello, I have a quick question. Forgive me if this has been
    Mark> asked before. I was wondering what the purpose of named not
    Mark> quitting if it can't bind to port 53 (such as if another
    Mark> instance of bind is already running). I would have thought
    Mark> if named can't bind to the port, it can't answer any queries
    Mark> so there would be no purpose in the process continuing.

Maybe because the reason that the bind() failed will have gone away by
the next time the name server re-scans for network interfaces? For
example a socket on TCP port 53 in TIME_WAIT state is put to rest, a
transient network buffer shortage has been alleviated, the previously
down or broken or wedged network interface comes alive, etc, etc. And
there's always a possibility that a new network interface - say a PPP
link - comes up and the name server would be able to set up a port 53
listener on that.