Third Party DDNS/WINS?

Derek derek at eds.net.au
Tue Jul 6 01:15:10 UTC 1999

Hi Steve,

At some of the sites I look after, I have implemented a Linux server with
samba ver 2.
This allows for Bind to replicate the DNS but also allows WINS to be run on
the Linux server and the Wins and DNS to be linked.

This is a very scalable solution, and it is free.

I remote manage the sites DNS and WINS via a Web site I have customised on
this box.
I run Apache as the Web server, utilising the tools that come with Samba for
the remote management.

The Web Server is only used for my management, but could be used as an
Intranet or Extranet site as well, but in this situation I would put two IP
addresses on the server to split DNS/Wins and http.
The advantage with this is you retain flexibility, allowing the Web server
to be migrated easily to another server if it grows.

I find this a scalable solution for a mixed Microsoft and Unix Sites.
This system can be implemented in a private or Internet environment.

I expect that you should be able to do the same thing on a other ports of
Unix but Linux is good for me..

I hope this helps.

Regards
Derek.