554 MX list for...

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Tue Jul 6 01:30:32 UTC 1999

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:

| Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:17:58 -0500
| From: Daniel Wittenberg <daniel-wittenberg at dellmac.com>
| To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
| Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind, comp.mail.sendmail
| Subject: 554 MX list for...
|
| I have seen these errors before when the MX record points to a machine that
| doesn't know it's supposed to accept mail, and you can easily fix this by adding
| a line to the cw file.  I'm getting this in a case where I'm trying to use one
| machine as a secondary mail exchange for another machine.
|
| servera.company.com is listed as:
|
| IN	MX	10 mail.company.com.
| IN	MX	20 servera.company.com.
|
| Now I want servera to queue the mail until mail.company.com comes back up.  I'm
| getting these 554 errors on some email when it delivers the mail to servera...
|
| 554 MX list for mail.company.com. points back to servera.company.com
| 554 <user at mail.company.com>... Local configuration error
|
| I obviously can't add mail.company.com to the cw file because it's a different
| machine, and I don't want the mail delivered directly to servera, it needs to go
| to mail.

seems to me  severa 'thinks' that it also is mail.company.com. Have you
made mail.company.com a CNAME to severa. or set its A record to the same address?
Or given it an alias mail.company.com in its own /etc/hosts?

The above MX records look fine, as long as severa is not induced to think of itself
as mail.company.com. When it receives the email, it should remove all references
to itself from the MX list it finds (in thi case the prio 20) and any with higher
prio, so that ony
	IN MX 10 mail.company.com.
remains. It will then try delivering again.

Else, maybe severa does not know to remove the MX record, because it does not recognize
that name somehow?

It would help if you could
	a) post the real company domain (I guess company.com is not the real one)
	   so we can check the DNS to see whether there are any obvious errors
	b) tell us which sendmail version you are running? Try upgrading to 8.9.3 in any case
	c) post the relevant excerpts of sendmail.cf and the full sendmail.cf file.

regads

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *