forwarding loop (was Re: chache poisoning problem)

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Jul 6 11:43:10 UTC 1999

>>>>> "bas" == bas aerts <bas_aerts at ins.com> writes:

    bas> How's the status on this issue? I got this in my log file:

    bas> Jul 6 12:14:45 amsftp00 named[3178]: ns_forw: query(www.xtreme-sport.com) forwarding loop (AMSNS01.CHELLO.COM:212.83.64.140)
    bas> Jul 6 12:14:45 amsftp00 named[3178]: ns_forw: query(www.xtreme-sport.com) contains our address (AMSNS00.CHELLO.COM:212.83.64.141)

Looks like your name server is broken. It doesn't know about the
xtreme-sport.com domain. But when it looks up www.xtreme-sport.com, it
finds that the NS records for xtreme-sport.com point at your name
server(s). Hence the report about a forwarding loop - because that's
what this is - and the complaint that a query for this domain returned
the IP address of the local name server.

	% dig xtreme-sport.com ns
	;; ANSWERS:
	xtreme-sport.com.       172800  NS      AMSNS01.CHELLO.COM.
	xtreme-sport.com.       172800  NS      AMSNS00.CHELLO.COM.

	;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
	AMSNS01.CHELLO.COM.     172800  A       212.83.64.140
	AMSNS00.CHELLO.COM.     172800  A       212.83.64.141

So, either the NS records for xtreme-sport.com are pointing at the
wrong name servers or else your name server(s) should be authoritative
for this domain. This is something for the technical contacts of
chello.com and xtreme-sport.com to sort out between themselves.