Bind 8.2.1 stability problem!

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jul 12 00:16:51 UTC 1999

> Hello!
>
> Recently we changed our DNS-Servers from
>     SparcStation-5 96 MB 100MBit-half switched
>     SUN/Solaris 2.5
>     Bind 8.1.2
>     HP LPr Pentium 450MHz 256MB 100MBit-full switched
>     RedHat 6.0 Kernel 2.2.10
>     Bind 8.2.1
> to achive better performance for the about 4500 zones we host.
>
> But instead of better performance, we ran into troubles:
>
> Sometimes bind on our primary server seems to hang. In debugging mode
> the incoming requests are logged, but the daemon doesn't answer
> anything. After a while (between 1 and 5 minutes) it recovers and starts
> to answer queries again. In the logfile suddenly appears a bunch of the
> following messages:

	Is named making its own requests during this hiatus?
	If so are they being answered?

	Can you run strace (or any other system call tracer) when named
	is appearing to not answer queries so we can see what it is doing
	at that point in time?

	The "ns_req: sendto(..."  messsages below are the result of
	named finally send the answers and the client already having
	timedout / received the answer from a different source and
	closing the socket.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org