Firewall, split dns and the forwarders directive

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Jul 1 19:03:39 UTC 1999

   From: "Palano, Joseph" <Joseph.Palano at Fmr.COM>
   Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:57:04 -0400

   Barry,

	   What you have said would make sense logically but I don't think it
   agrees with page 385-386 of the "DNS&BIND" v3.  Could you please expand or
   give me a reference.  This issue has been a hot topic for me and the rest of
   the DNS "crew".  Thanks.

I don't see the contradiction.  In the book's example, zardoz is
authoritative for movie.edu, but not authoritative for fx.movie.edu.  So it
never forwards queries for names in the movie.edu zone, but it will forward
queries for names in the fx.movie.edu zone.

A zone is not an entire DNS hierarchy -- it's bounded by delegation NS
records.

   Joe Palano
   UNIX Sys Admin
   Fidelity Investments