multi cnames on bind 8.2.1

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 15 14:51:39 UTC 1999

> I want to show you my whole zone file here.  Could you tell me how i'm
> violating the protocol.  What should I have done instead maybe?  Is there a
> way to make the chargeback.co.uk to work?  Thank you in advance.
>
> ===================
> zone chargeback.co.uk
> =====================
> @                       86400   IN      SOA     nsb.westpub.com.
> djn.westpub.com. (
>                                                 1999063002 ; Serial
>                                                 3600       ; Refresh  ( 1
> hour)
>                                                 900        ; Retry    (15
> min)
>                                                 604800     ; Expire   ( 7
> days)
>                                                 1 )        ; Min. TTL ( 1
> sec)
> $INCLUDE                ext/ns.txt
>
> localhost               86400   IN      A       127.0.0.1
>
> chargeback.co.uk.               IN      CNAME   chargeback.westlaw.com.
> ======================
> file ns.txt
> ======================
>                         86400   IN      NS      ns1.westgroup.net.
>                         86400   IN      NS      ns2.westgroup.net.
> =============================
> chargeback.westlaw.com entry
> =============================
> chargeback                      IN      A       163.231.253.113
>                                 IN      A       163.231.237.113

In the first file, chargeback.co.uk [being the default $ORIGIN] got, in
order, 1 explicit SOA record, 2 $INCLUDEd NS records, and 1 explicit
CNAME record.

The standards do say that domains that have CNAME records should NOT
have any other records.

On the one hand, the theory is that domain names should never have
CNAME records.  OTOH, it appears that you want to make this domain just
an alias for chargeback.westlaw.com.  Understandably, you don't want to
have to update multiple files - or you may not even be in control of
the westlaw.com files.

In this case, though, you are.

Try this: make chargeback.westlaw.com its own domain.  Yes, it's a
machine.  Hear me out.

In westlaw.com:
	chargeback	IN	NS	...
			IN	NS	...

or, at the end of westlaw.com:
	$ORIGIN		chargeback
	$INCLUDE	ext/ns.txt

In, say, zone.chargeback:
	$TTL		604800
	@ 86400 IN SOA nsb.westpub.com. djn.westpub.com. ( ... )
	$INCLUDE	ext/ns.txt
			IN A	...
			IN A	...

Then, in your named.conf:

zone "chargeback.westlaw.com" IN {
	type master;
	file "zone.chargeback";
};

zone "chargeback.co.uk" IN {
	type master;
	file "zone.chargeback";
};

Do you see what happens?  One file, two "domains".

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B