followup, re: dns cache corruption

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jul 2 17:07:35 UTC 1999

folks who wanted to know how to test whether their server is corrupt:

	dig www.networksolutions.com a @204.152.187.11 | grep 128.9.160.28

(204.152.187.11 is my local caching server, which isn't corrupt, dammit.)
if the above command produces an A RR as output, your server is corrupt.

folks who wanted to know how to dump their cache and look for this data:

	su
	ndc dumpdb
	awk '/^\$ORIGIN/ { o=$2 } /128.9.160.28/ {print o;print}' \
		/var/named/named_dump.db

(this assumes that you're using sh or csh, and that your named.conf's
"directory" option is set to /var/named as mine is.)  if the above command
shows an origin other than icann.org, or shows more than one origin, you
have caught something that i would like to see in my inbox -- and thanks!