DNS-Request+Dial-up+Caching Nameserve

Martin Kellner mhkellner at t-online.de
Fri Jul 16 22:35:46 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin schrieb in Nachricht ...
>In article <378DAF2B.8E42D812 at T-Online.de>,
>Martin H. Kellner <Taunus-Elektro-Bau-KellnerMH at t-online.de> wrote:
>>We use a Client/Server-software which sometimes sends an "A?"-request
>>for the name of the server of the database. I have setup an
>>dial-up-gateway for our network to access the internet. I'm using
>>IP-Masquerading on a SUSE-6.0-distribution.
>>
>>The request for the name-resolution opens the dial-up connection. I
>>could solve it with an entry in the hosts-file of our Win-clients, but I
>>don't want to move to all the places. I was able to setup a caching
>>nameserver on the gateway-machine very quick. It runs but its'
>>hosts-file doesn't help.
>>

>Make your DNS server a master server for a zone containing just the name of
>your server.  For instance, if it's dbserver.company.de, put the following
>in named.conf (I'm assuming you're using BIND 8):
>
>zone "dbserver.company.de" {
>  type master;
>  file "dbserver.company.de.db";
>};
>
>Then create the file dbserver.company.de.db, and it should look like:
>
>$TTL 86400
>@ IN SOA dnsserver.company.de hostmaster.company.de (
>         1999071501 ; serial
>         3600       ; refresh
>         900        ; retry
>         864000     ; expire
>         3600 )     ; MinTTL
>  IN NS dnsserver.company.de.
>  IN A 1.2.3.4
>
>Replace dnsserver.company.de with the name of your local DNS server, and
>1.2.3.4 with the address of the database server.
>
>--
>Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
>GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
>*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
>Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.

The dial-up-link still comes up. I found out that even the command "host
knownhost" makes the dial-up-link start. the right ip-adress is reported
even before the modem starts dialing.

So why does the running nameserver on my machine still make the dial-up
start?  I'm using Bind 8.1.2.

The nameserver also opens an connection to the internet if it is started. Is
he doing somekind of a replication of its' root.hint file?

Wouldn't it be a better idea to setup a certain rule for the diald-filter?
The filter could catch this one nameserver-request and ignore it before this
package would start the line.

Ba the way: Everthing else works fine. I enjoy the Linux-machine with an
486-33 and 20 MByte-Ram as the router. It was up for 8 day without
rebooting. the i had to reboot for the hunting of this DNS-request.

any more ideas?

thank you

Martin Kellner