DESTDIR for installing bind to separate location.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jul 19 12:21:40 UTC 1999

> This is direct to you, not to any list.

I hope you don't mind my re-posting it to the list, since if one person
asked, several others will want to know.  ;-)

> It seems to me that you posted a message a month or so
> back on installing bind to a separate directory tree
> by setting the DESTDIR (or similar) keyword in one of the
> Makefiles.  I think it was someone asking about HP installs
> or maybe Solaris.
> This came up because a couple of people have written into
> bind-users recently about having problems with Solaris
> builds.  So I put source 8.2.1 on a Solaris 7, Update 2 and
> compiled it with no errors out of the box, then the same
> with 2.6 and 8.2.1.  I didn't try installing them because
> I don't really trust Solaris file arrangements so I wanted
> to install to an alternate root first to make sure everything
> makes sense.  But now either /usr/ccs/bin/make isn't doing the
> right thing with the "-n", or I'm setting the wrong DESTDIR, or
> the wrong parameter entirely.

You are correct ... in port/solaris/Makefile.set, you must enter, e.g.,
'DESTDIR=/tmp' or the like.  But then, you must do a 'make clean' and a
'make' again.  You don't really have to do the full make's; but I
didn't want to manually trace through where all the changes were made
and miss one.  This does not seem to affect any binaries.  It PROBABLY
only affects Makefiles.  But at the time I did this, I did not have the
time to make sure.  [The distribution so created seems to work
perfectly well in situ, though.]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B