HELP: New subdomains and sendmail not working

Bennett brs at ben-tech.com
Mon Jul 19 23:47:35 UTC 1999

Greetings,

We have created subdomains at work, and now sendmail won't play nice.  I
am currently getting the "Mail loops back to me error"  This is after
fighting the "Host name lookup failure" error for a day.  I have been
through the Sendmail, TCPI/IP, DNS and Bind, and Essential System
Administration books ... What am I missing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
        Bennett

Here is what I am trying to do:
*) Tried to set up external/internal domains (this works, proven by
nslookup)
 External - fsproduce.com
 Internal  - madc.fsproduce.com, brdc.fsproduce.com, etc.

*) Tried to set up central mail server  (these are the same machine)
 External - www.fsproduce.com
 Internal  - mail1.madc.fsproduce.com
 Note: Currently our ISP is authoritative for the fsproduce.com, but I
am trying to set things up so that we can be authoritative for
ourselves.  (This way we can add nice CNAMES like ftp.fsproduce.com,
mail.fsproduce.com, etc.) (We do have two DNS server connected to the
Internet)

*) Eventually have the second Internet connection provide redundant mail
service. (e.g. "mail1", "mail2", however, users use "mail")

This is my current configuration:
/etc/resolv.conf
search madc.fsproduce.com brdc.fsproduce.com fsproduce.com
nameserver 150.1.1.7
nameserver 150.1.1.57
nameserver 204.249.184.2

/etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.localdomain
150.1.1.7               mail1.madc.fsproduce.com mail1
204.249.185.214         www.fsproduce.com www

/etc/named/named.fsproduce
..snip...
;
; The domain address
;
                IN      A       204.249.185.214
                IN      MX      0       www.fsproduce.com.
..snip...
;
; Define hosts in this zone
;
www             IN      A       204.249.185.214
..snip...

dns1            IN      CNAME   www.fsproduce.com.
dns2            IN      CNAME   vpn1.fsproduce.com.
mail1           IN      CNAME   www.fsproduce.com.

/etc/named/named.madc.fsproduce
..snip...
rs6000          IN      A       150.1.1.1
                IN      MX      0       rs6000.madc.fsproduce.com.
                IN      MX      10      mail1.madc.fsproduce.com.
..snip...
mail1           IN      A       150.1.1.7
..snip...

--
"How do you re-dial a lost Internet connection?"

Use ifmon - The Interface Monitor
http://users.desupernet.net/a42n8k9/ifmon