Dynamic IP

ray ray at malema.com
Tue Jul 20 00:28:07 UTC 1999

I have ADSL hooked up to a Linux server I am running 24/7.    I have
another machine I am paying to have sit at an ISP on which I have been
running bind and serve a few modest web sites off of a single IP with
virtual hosting.  I followed along the DNS-HOWTO and bind handles a
grand total of 3 domains.

I would like to shut the second machine down as it cost me real money.
The ADSL machine runs dhcpcd and appears to have a 24 hr lease on an IP
in principle.  In practice I have not seen the IP changed in 3 weeks (as
long as I have had the ADSL installed).

How can I use my ADSL machine as an http server for  a few modest
websites?  I hear there are somekind of dynamic dns servers out there.
Where are they??

I would think it would go like this.  At internic I set up my domain
www.eflownet.com to use the dynamic dns service as the primary and
secondary name servers.  Then I update the dynamic nameserver when my
IP changes.

But....

What happens during propogation lag.  My IP changes and I update it with
my dynamic dns service but the old IP is still cached out there.
A potential browser could get a non-authoritative lookup to the old IP
and go the wrong machine.  If the dynamic dns service uses some
technique (TTL??) to force authoritative lookups the dynamic dns machine
is going to get swamped.  Is this how it works??

How about...

Does it make sense if I run bind on my ADSL machine and the dynamic dns
machine forwards (somehow) all dns lookups to my machine.  Then I could
handle all nitty gritty on my machine when the IP changes and the
dynamic dns service guy just keeps track of my latest IP and sends all
request for my domain eflownet.com to my ADSL machine.  Is this possible
to setup?

If someone could just point me to some of these dynamic dns service
providers I read their FAQ's and HOW-TOs to see how this thing works.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Ray Racine