BIND 8.2.1 - firewall - forward

quaia at nih.gov quaia at nih.gov
Tue Jul 20 02:01:21 UTC 1999

Hi.
I have a name server running on a bastion host
that has a firewall running. I am trying to set up
an internal name server that should resolve the
internal addresses directly while relying on
the firewall name server for internet addresses. I
have set up the configuration files for BIND 8.2.1
as specified in DNS&BIND Ed.3, putting a
forwarders statement in the named.conf options
section:

options {
	query-source address * port 53;
	forward only;
	forwarders { 192.249.249.3; };
};

Unfortunately, it does not seem to work... it
resolves internal names ok, but it does not work
for internet addresses. I looked at the log files,
and I found the following message:

Jul 19 20:37:13 lsr-prece named[5370]: Forwarding
source address is [0.0.0.0].53

It looks like it is not using the address I
specified in the forwarders statement.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Christian