Glue record in different domain

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jul 2 17:40:02 UTC 1999

> pb.com delegates goober.pb.com to ns.jelly.com.  Normally one would write an NS
> RR and a glue record in pb.com:
>         goober.pb.com.  IN      NS      ns.jelly.com.
>         ns.jelly.com.   IN      A       1.2.3.4
>
> but BIND 8.x will complain about ns.jelly.com. not in pb.com.  Can I pull off a
> little deception and write the glue as:
>         goober.pb.com.          IN      NS      ns-jelly.pb.com.
>         ns-jelly.pb.com.        IN      A       1.2.3.4
>
> even though the SOA RR and the NS RR for goober will say ns.jelly.com is the
> name server?  Why should the name server at pb.com care about a little name
> discrepancy as long as it can find the host it delegates to?

No reason not.  Or you could just leave out the A record and trust that
the jelly.com DNS will get it right.  Sometimes that's chancy.
Often, though, that's the BETTER thing to do.  What if they move the
"ns.jelly.com" alias (and name services) from robin.jelly.com to
batman.jelly.com?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B