Delegating Part Of Class C?

buffalo at icarus.yml.com buffalo at icarus.yml.com
Wed Jul 21 16:49:47 UTC 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > xxx.xxx.xxx.80.82
> >
> > which obviously doesn't work. ...
>
> Why, "obviously"?  You were in fact doing it right, without even having
> read the correct documentation!  Consider: if you try to look up
> 	82.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa	(i.e., xxx.xxx.xxx.82)
> the system will find that the "canonical name" is
> 	82.80.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa	(i.e., xxx.xxx.xxx.80.82)
> and try to look THAT up at YOUR server.  Which is what you had
> provided!

Right, and the reason I say "obviously", is because when I did set up:

db.xxx.xxx.xxx.80

and my nameserver tries to look up:

xxx.xxx.xxx.82

as

xxx.xxx.xxx.80.82

it times out and doesn't work.

However, if I set up db.xxx.xxx.xxx, and *then* look up xxx.xxx.xxx.82, my
namserver responds correctly:

# nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.82
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    my.domain.com
Address:  xxx.xxx.xxx..82

> Think about it.  Better yet, read the recommended documentation.  ;-)

Hmmm. Been there, tried that :-)

--Duncan