DNS pointing to domain without www.?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 22 14:24:39 UTC 1999

[I got an e-mail error on this when sent to
"comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.uu.net".
Via a relay within uu.net!]

> I am running bind (not the latest) on a Linux (Slackware) box for
> my primary DNS for my 40 domains.
>
> I have IN A lines pointing "www" to the IP address. The question is,
> how do I have browsers find the web site if the person does not
> type www.cashkey.com (for example) and just puts in cashkey.com (?)

I don't understand why people want to do this.  This must be the
dozenth person who's asked this in the last week - which is why the
discussion hasn't made it to the archives yet.

In zone.cashkey.com:

@	IN A	IP.ad.dr.ess
www	IN CNAME	cashkey.com.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B