Delegating Part Of Class C?

buffalo at icarus.yml.com buffalo at icarus.yml.com
Thu Jul 22 19:27:18 UTC 1999

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > 82.80.xxx.xxx.xxx.IN-ADDR.ARPA.   IN PTR   host1.mydomain.com.
>
> Hmmm.  My fault, I matched 82 w/host1.  You probably did "the right
> thing".
> What does 'dig' or 'nslookup' say when you try to look up, say,
> 82.80.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.?
>
> Have you given the ISP's name server time to timeout any cached
> negative information?  [I think I know the answer to this one.]

I'm sure you do too :-)

I went to lunch and came back, and now without further changes, lookups
are working(!):

# nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.82
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    host1.mydomain.com
Address:  xxx.xxx.xxx.82
Aliases:  82.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa

While I'm quite pleased to see this resolved, though the solution seems
very strange to me. I still can't make sense out of how the 5 octet scheme
makes this work, or why the lookups come out as they do.

But in any case, thanks for helping me to solve the problem! Thanks to
various other earlier responders as well...

--Duncan