lateral NS delegation

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jul 23 17:13:52 UTC 1999

> Are there any inherent problems with a lateral NS delegation?

No such thing.  See below.

> Supposing that the root-servers are delegating 192.168.1.0/24 to my
> nameservers via:
>
>   1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN NS	ns1.foo.com.
>
> On ns1.foo.com, I have this conf entry:
>
>   zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" { type "master"; file "zonefile"; };
>
> and the zonefile for 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa is this:
>
>   @ IN SOA ns1.foo.com. hostmaster.foo.com. ( <SOA info snipped> )
>   1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN NS	ns1.otherfoo.com.
>
> Is this a good method to delegate 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa to
> ns1.otherfoo.com, or will there be a problem because it is a lateral
> delegation?

No such thing.  There will be problems.  If you are designated as the
name server for a particular domain, you are expected to have the
answers for that domain.  No hemming and hawing and asking other
servers behind your back.  You must have that information on hand.

Is there a reason you couldn't be a "slave" for the domain with
"ns1.otherfoo.com" as the master?  Then that machine will maintain the
master data, but your machine will have it on hand for when it's needed.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B