[NEWBIE] Running DNS server off cablemodem

Chris Adams adrena1in at NOSPAMhome.com
Mon Jul 26 03:28:39 UTC 1999

I'm interested in running a DNS server on a FreeBSD box which is
connected to a cablemodem.  I already have a domain registered but I'd
like to host it on my FreeBSD box so that I can learn DNS and maybe
host my own e-mail server and ftp server with the new domain.  @Home
is pretty anal when it comes to people running servers, so I can't go
to them for any help.

What I need to know is, what setup do I need to run my own DNS server
(besides bind)?  For example, would I need to purchase another IP from
@Home, then point the new domain to that?  Or could I use my current
one??  Also, would I be able to have reverse DNS capabilities, even
though @Home will have the second (and my current) IP address I
purchase from them in their DNS tables??

If anyone can make sense on what I'm trying to say or knows what I'm
trying to do with my current setup, I'd appreciate any feedback/info.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
--

Please edit e-mail address accordingly if replying via e-mail.