fetch-glue yes recursion no

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Jul 26 18:56:03 UTC 1999

<Christine.Tran at East.Sun.COM> wrote in message
news:<492251766.933013181862.JavaMail.qtran at hutch.East.Sun.COM>...
> 1) Is it meaningful to have fetch-glue yes and recursion no in an
> option statement?

Yes, although it's not quite as secure as turning both off.  Also, it's an
"options" statement, not an "option" statement.

> 2) I delegate away some zones, but have provided glue for them,
> (the NS and the A); in this case I don't need fetch-glue yes, do I?

If you provide out-of-zone glue, it'll be ignored anyway.  If the glue
records are below the delegation point, they're necessary.  In neither case
in glue fetching necessary, though it will slow resolution in delegated
subzones if it's not on.

> 3) Since I don't want recursion, and have taken care to write my own
> glue, this means that I will ONLY have to fetch-glue when a client
> asked me about something I don't know, something which will return an
> NS whose glue I have to fetch, correct?  So naturally, fetch-glue no
> follows recursion no, correct?

They're quite often used together.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.