"geographic" dns-answer

Yiorgos Adamopoulos adamo at dblab.ece.ntua.gr
Tue Jul 27 16:55:00 UTC 1999

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 04:00:56PM +0200, Birgit Schmid wrote:
> I want to use several servers with the same name; the customer should use the
> server he reaches with minimal hop-count (to minimize traffic).

I think what you are describing is the IPv6 ``anycast'' facility.

If you assign ns.for.customer.com with multiple A RRs these will be given to
the customer on a round robin basis.

A ``pure'' DNS solution is for you to calculate the hop counts from every
server to the customer and assign the ``closest'' server's A RR to the
customer.ns.for.customer.com

[ Of course this should mean that the primary hosting ns.for.customer.com must
be reloaded several times a day, if this is too dynamic ]

--
ieee.org!adamo