two domains and secondaries

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jul 21 23:20:53 UTC 1999

In article <3795CCDE.571BE026 at sunbursthospitality.com>,
A.R. <abdul_rahman at sunbursthospitality.com> wrote:
>2. Could someone describe for me how secondary dns servers get updated
>by primary
>dns servers?  Specifically, if i change the records on the primary, how
>long, and what
>are the details of the file update/transfer on the slave (or
>secondaries)?

Periodically, the secondary server queries the primary server, to get the
serial number of the zone.  If the serial number is higher than the version
of the zone that it already has, the secondary server connects to the
primary server and requests a zone transfer, which is a complete copy of
the zone.  The frequency of the serial number checks is specified in a
field in the zone's SOA record.  If the primary and secondary servers are
running recent versions of BIND or NT DNS, the primary will send the
secondary servers a notice whenever the zone has updated, which causes the
secondary to check the serial number immediately.

P.S. It would be better to post unrelated questions in separate messages.
That way, someone interested in one topic but not the other doesn't have to
wade through all the irrelevant messages in the same thread.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com