DNS behind a firewall? (was: DNS with only one IP)

Apartments & Roommates housing2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 17:07:26 UTC 1999

Howdy folks,

I'm new to linux and DNS and in a situation similar to DM's.  I have DSL with a
fixed IP and a firewall.  I'm trying to set up a linux box as DNS inside the
firewall.  Currently our DSL provider acts as DNS sending aptaccess.com to our
static public IP.

Can I keep the linux box behind the firewall with the configuration to forward
DNS requests to the private IP (192.168.168.xx)?

Should we have our provider direct *.aptaccess.com to us and have our DNS
resolve www.aptaccess.com, ftp.aptaccess.com, etc.  Or should we just take care
of it all ourselves?  (We have 2 seperate offices with static IPs, so we could
provide primary and secondary ourselves)

Thanks in advance for any assistance =)

Sean
housing2000 at yahoo.com