named dies when out of memory?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jul 29 02:45:45 UTC 1999

> On 28 Jul 1999 02:25:13 -0700, Jim Reid <jim at mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote:
> >
> >    Adam> BIND 8.2.1 on an SGI IRIX 6.2.  named dies when it runs out
> >    Adam> of memory!  We tried setting a memory limit, but it seems to
> >    Adam> then die when it reaches that limit.
> >
> >    Adam> Is this supposed to happen?
> >
> >Yes. There's not much else that can be done if the OS can't won't let
> >name server get more VM.
> >
> >    Adam> Is there anything we can do?
> >
> >Try letting the name server have more VM resources. Check out your
> >shell's limit command and consult the OS documentation about process
> >size limits. If that's not possible, you could try to make the name
> >server less memory-hungry. For example, you could disable
> >host-statistics if these were enabled. You could reduce the number of
> >zones in its named.conf. If the server is thumped by lots of
> >resolvers, consider adding more caching name servers and splitting the
> >traffic from the resolvers between them. That should stop your name
> >server's cache from getting so big.
>
> Isn't there some way to dump older (least recently used) cached
> data to make room for new stuff?  Or any other option than just
> dying?  named on our heavily-used DNS proxy machine is just
> using all available VM before dying, which only takes 2-5 days.

	You can adjust the amount of VM named is allowed to have
	via "options { datasize #; };", however it is not wise to
	exceed physical memory.

	You can adjust the value of max_cache_ttl (db_glob.h), by
	default it is 7 days.  This controls the maximum time a
	record will be cached.  See also max-ncache-ttl (options)
	and cleaning-interval (options).

	I would not drop max_cache_ttl below 3 hrs.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org