DNS questions

Blake Starkenburg blake_star at email.msn.com
Thu Jul 29 19:11:08 UTC 1999

Hello, and I thank all of you who can help me with this setup.
I have a small LAN in my home, 1 PC Win98 and a LINUX machine with the
apache web server. I recently was appointed and nominated to setup a small
personal family web site because of my full time Internet connection I have
with the Linux machine. I wanted to put the web site on the Linux machine
and
serve it to the Internet. Our family members also recently agreed to
purchasing a domain name from InterNIC, and I wanted to use it from this
machine. My question regards DNS. I can set-up a caching DNS server, in fact
I have one running thanks to the metalab HOWTO's. And could probably get a
primary up and running with some patience and some time. What else am I
going to need? Do I have to get the permissions of my ISP or use there DNS
servers? Or can I simply apply for a free secondary DNS from someone like
granite canyon
I am stumped as to which way to go. I really want
to put it on the server I have so I can use the Database.

Thanks so much, everyone