query on non-query socket

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jul 30 13:40:11 UTC 1999

> On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 09:50:24AM +0200, Saso wrote:
> > It is a new way many load ballancing products for web browsers work. They c
> heck the latency by connecting to your dns server on port 7 or port 53, proba
> bly depends on product.
>
> Maybe I'm too tired to sort this out, but I don't get the point:
> - if the product connects to port 7, my bind won't see it.
> - if the product connects to port 53, why does bind complain that this
>   is NOT a query socket?

	Because you have "query-source * port 53;" specified and listen-on
	specified or a interface came up after named was started.  In any
	case queries came into the socket being used to make queries.

	As for web products checking latency as long as all published
	addresses for the DNS server are actually in the listen-on clause
	there should be no problem.

	If it is really bothering you set to port to something other 53
	and open a new hole in the fire wall.

	Mark

> (in depth comments about the "intelligence" behind measuring the latency
>  of a host by measuring the latency to one of the auth dns servers omitted)

	In the real world it is often pretty good but only because people
	fail to topologically distribute the nameservers.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org