need some help

hoyoung at us.ibm.com hoyoung at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 30 21:31:24 UTC 1999

All,

Need some help here.  For security reason, all names below are made-up.  Sorry.

A server in the Dept has name :dublin.mayo.rock.edu.  The owner of the server
needs to rename it to: public.nash.rock.edu.  I'm the admin for domain
mayo.rochester.edu which is in city A.  nash.rochester.edu is in B city and
owned by my counterpart.  The server will also use an IP belonged to
nash.roch.edu.

Can this be done?  I can have it respond with B city's ip address when someone
queried dublin.mayo.rock.edu.  But that isn't politically correct, is it?  Can I
just point to nash.rochester.edu with a cname or something?  In any case, the
reverse lookup should never give  the Mayo name.  Is this doable?

Thanks
Hannah Day