Question regarding setup of NS services

Ben Kosse BKosse at thecreek.com
Sat Jul 31 17:50:54 UTC 1999

I am in the process of fixing our rather ugly name server settings. I did
not create the name server, nor did I inherit the responsibility of fixing
it until last week. So, please, no need to tell me the current situation is
wrong and that I have to fix it. I know this already.

I have an external mail relay agent that takes incoming mail and forwards it
to the internal server. Currently, this machine is also an external DNS
server. It is messed up (informing people of 10.x addresses, giving an MX
record for a machine on a 10.x address, etc) because the prior admin didn't
know how to make it work right. Internally, we have 2 name servers that
really host the 10.x private range.

What I need to do is get the 10.x range from the internal servers (I can't
use a hosts file for the required systems because qmail doesn't support
using hosts), while still acting as the primary name server for several
domains and handling requests from the inside.

The external host is a Solaris box while the internal name servers are NT4
boxes.

I'm thinking I can just tell the Solaris box to use the internal systems as
name servers but run BIND (version 8) as well. Is this going to do it for
me?

--
Ben Kosse <bkosse at thecreek.com>
PC Technician -- Coldwater Creek, Inc.