MAXQUERIES error

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Jun 27 19:12:00 UTC 1999

<tgreenwald at wcsolutions.com> wrote in message
news:<7konjl$hio$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>...
> We are getting a MAXQUERIES error messages on our DNS.  Shortly after
> this messages is logged the nameserver dies, sometimes.  I'm wondering
> what the MAXQUERIES limit is and if and how it can be increased.  I
> think the nameserver dying is related.

A MAXQUERIES error is usually an indication that your name server has found
a loop while trying to resolve a domain name, for example:

a    IN    CNAME    b
b    IN    CNAME    a

Once the name server sends MAXQUERIES queries to resolve the name, it gives
up, to protect itself from endlessly following a loop.  Hitting MAXQUERIES
shouldn't cause a crash, though.

You don't want to change MAXQUERIES.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.