round robin on PTR records in 8.1.2

Richard Roberto robertri at sag.japan.ml.com
Fri Jun 25 01:39:28 UTC 1999

Hi,

This seems not to be working here, but I'm not sure why.  I have three A
records a la:

webcache	IN	A	1
webproxy	IN	A	1
fontserver	IN	A	1

and in the reverse zone:

1	IN	PTR	webcache
1	IN	PTR	webproxy
1	IN	PTR	fontserver

If I query the address I always get back the same domain label but I would
have thought the responses would be rotated like A records are.  This
isn't currently an issue but it might be.  Some of our software does
require reverse lookups to work and if a host has more than one A record
for it, it looks like it may not.  Eventually a list of servers will all
respond to each of these names (so they'll all be round robin A records
as well), which is supported for sure, and works fine (forward lookups,
that is).  Currently though, this is just one machine with three names.

The A record configuration seems legal to me, and I would have thought the
PTR records were correct (even required).  Anyone know if this should
behave differently or if this behaviour is correct?  Flames are welcome as
its a slow day here.  This is on servers running Solaris 2.6 and a mix of
clients (solaris, sunos, HP-UX, NT), by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Richard G. Roberto	richard_roberto at ml.com
+813-3213-8627		Merrill Lynch Japan