root server access statistics

Sezen Uysal suysal at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 21:06:36 UTC 1999

I wanted to share what I have been found. My DNS is
located in Herndon, VA. This stats were collected in
12 day period. The following is the distribution of
queries to the root servers from my server.

Almost 30% of the time my DNS went to the west coast
although there are 5 root servers on the east coast of
US which are at most 20 miles away from me. In
addition, my DNS consulted to servers in Sweden, UK
and Japan, too. I thought it was interesting!

Thanks Mark Andrews and Mike Voight for educating me
on how BIND is choosing the root servers. I still
think there can be improvements in BIND to choose
closer root servers.

     258 a.root Herndon, VA
     164 b.root Marina delRey, CA
     198 c.root Herndon, VA