forwarders directive on internal root-server?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Jun 27 19:37:24 UTC 1999

Volker Dormeyer <V.Dormeyer at t-online.de> wrote in message
news:<19990627184755.A1133 at t-online.de>...
> For now we have some internal ROOT-nameservers to help the
> other normal nameservers resolve their data in some subdomains
> on different locations.
>
> Now, additionally a firewall comes in to the game. Some
> of the clients from the internal network must see the
> internet address space. So, we would like to provide these
> clients a solution to resolve official internet names and
> addresses.
>
> Is it possible to let the internal ROOTS point to the
> firewall via a forwarders directive?

Nope.  Internal root name servers are authoritative for the root zone, so if
you query them for a domain name that doesn't exist in an internal zone,
they'll simply respond with NXDOMAIN rather than forwarding.

If you can upgrade to BIND 8.2.1, you can take advantage of forward zones to
help solve this problem, though.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.