DNS MX Load Balancing???

dreamwvr dreamwvr at dreamwvr.com
Mon Jun 28 23:18:19 UTC 1999

hi,
  far from a expert here but here is my $.02 this is probably not the
prefered method to do what your looking at doing. If you are usign linux
there is a 'eqln' i believe it is called which can do true load balancing.
i have tinkered with load balancing on the webserver end but this is
certainly not my forte load balancing mailservers. perhaps Round Robin
DNS techniques is what you are looking for.. i suppose one could run
a script that checked uptime to see the load on the server and switched
the smtp connection to the one that was lowest at any given time. But
perhaps there is a new feature in sendmail 8.9.x as i am new to this
version it appears there are lots of new features and settings to configure.
Well good luck!
							Regards,
							dreamwvr at dreamwvr.com
At 10:27 PM 6/28/99 GMT, CJS wrote:
>I would like to load balance 2 Mail Servers via DNS.  I now have my 2
>mail servers listed as MX records with equal priority levels.  Example
>below:
>
>mydomain.com      IN MX 1    mail1.mydomain.com
>mydomain.com      IN MX 1    mail2.mydomain.com
>
>However, I have heard that some Message Transfer Agents (specifically
>bind 4.x) ignore the second server unless the first is down.  Is this
>true and if so is this the best way to load balance mail servers?
>
>Thanks, Clif
>
>--
>"Maybe, for once, someone will call me 'sir'"
>without adding, "You're making a scene."
>Homer Simpson
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Reuters, London, February 29, 1998:
Scientists have announced discovering a meteorite which will strike the
earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX coders expressed relief for being
spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038.

************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
  TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
           <http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>
   DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 24 X 7 Evolution Internet
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html> <mailto:dreamwvr at dreamwvr.com>
 -> Linux-Mandrake Solution Provider and North American Distributor <-
        <http://www.dreamwvr.com/mandrake/mandrake-dist.html>
  "As Unique as the Company You Keep."        "===0 PGP Key Available